Martin Chemnitz Resources
This page still under construction. Check back soon for more!
Primary Source Chemnitz Resources
Much of Martin Chemnitz’s work has been translated into English, although not all of it. Additionally, there are many, many documents held overseas in Germany of an archival nature that relate to Martin Chemnitz. Entries are sorted by language used.
- Martin Chemnitz. “An Autobiography of Martin Kemnitz.” A.L. Graebner, trans. Theological Quarterly, vol. 3, no. 4 (1899). Web. Accessed September 28, 2022. https://books.google.com/books?id=fi8bAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA472&vq=%22An+Autobiography+of+Martin+Kemnitz%22&source=gbs_search_r&cad=1_1#v=onepage&q=%22An%20Autobiography%20of%20Martin%20Kemnitz%22&f=false
- Martin Chemnitz. The Lord’s Prayer. Ed. Georg Williams. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1999.
A wide variety of original-language versions of Martin Chemnitz are available on the Post-Reformation Digital Library (PRDL).
- “Martin Chemnitz (1522–1586).” Post-Reformation Digital Library. Accessed September 28, 2022. Web. https://www.prdl.org/author_view.php?a_id=544.
Print (Published) Chemnitz Resources
Published print resources on Martin Chemnitz refers to books and articles. Many of these are available at either CHI or the Hasse library.
- Theodor Mahlmann. “Der zweite Martin der lutherischen Kirche: zu einem Martin Chemnitz beigelegten Epitheton.” In Rezeption und Reform: Festschrift für Hans Schneider zu seinem 60. Geburtstag. Darmstadt: Verlad der Hessischen Kirchengeschichtlichen Vereinigung, 2001. 99–136.
- J.A.O. Preus II. The Second Martin: The Life and Theology of Martin Chemnitz. St. Louis: Concordia Publishing House, 1994.
- Heinrich Schmid, Doctrinal Theology of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, trans. Charles A. Hay and Henry E. Jacobs, (Minneapolis: Augsburg Publishing House, 1961), 665–666.
Print (Unpublished) Chemnitz Resources
Unpublished print resources on Martin Chemnitz would be things like notes, presentations, or unfinished/unpublished drafts of Chemnitz scholarship. These are available at CHI.
Archival Chemnitz Resources
Archival resources relating to Martin Chemnitz are things like personal papers, official records,
Web Chemnitz Resources
- Carl Beckwith. “Martin Chemnitz’s Use of the Church Fathers in His Locus on Justification.” In Concordia Theological Quarterly, vol. 68:3/4 (July/October 2004). 271–290. Web. Accessed October 6 2022. http://www.ctsfw.net/media/pdfs/beckwithchemnitzchurchfathersjustification.pdf.
Other Chemnitz Resources
This category consists of other resources helpful in Martin Chemnitz studies, including bibliographies, finding guides, lectures, etc.
- Jacob [Aall Ottesen] Preus [II]. “Martin Chemnitz’s approach to refuting error.” CSL Scholar. Concordia Seminary, St. Louis. November 5, 1986. Audio recording. Web. Accessed September 28, 2022. https://scholar.csl.edu/sem/Recorded_Seminars/Year/16/.
- Georg Williams. “The Works of Martin Chemnitz: A Bibliography of Titles, Editions, and Printings.” Concordia Theological Quarterly, vol. 42, num. 2 (April 1978). 103–114. Web. Accessed September 28, 2022. http://www.ctsfw.net/media/pdfs/williamsworksofchemnitz.pdf.