The Concordia Historical Institute Seal
The corporate seal of Concordia Historical Institute is rich in symbolism. Created by L.W. Bendix Taenzer, the seal has been widely used since it was designed in the mid-1920s. It appears on the first issue of the Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly (1928) and its symbolism is referred to in the editorial of a 1950 issue of the Quarterly:
The seal of the Institute will specifically direct him [the new editor] to the stories he is to help tell: the ship, which typifies our transoceanic origin, the Roman fasces of the bond of synodical union in which there is strength, the Perry County log cabin, reminding him of the fortitude and vision of our Lutheran pioneers, and the seal of Luther, who as God’s instrument restored the pure Gospel to men.
CHIQ Vol. XXIII, No. 1, p. 39
The artist, Mr. Taenzer, is also reported to have worked with Concordia Seminary on the stained glass designs found throughout the campus.
Copyright © 1998-2024 Concordia Historical Institute