1591 Kaspar Bienemann, hymnist, died in Altenburg, Germany (b. 3 January 1540).
1729 John W. Fletcher, early English Methodist theologian, was born at Nyon, Switzerland (d. 14 August 1785).
1805 Johann Jakob Herzog, German Reformed theologian, was born (d. 30 September 1882).
1807 Edward Miller, composer, died (b. 30 October 1735, Norwich, England).
1812 William Josiah Irons, hymn translator, was born in Hoddesdon, England (d. 18 June 1883, London, England).
1818 George Duffield Jr., hymnist and American Presbyterian clergyman, was born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania (d. 6 July 1888, Bloomfield, New Jersey).
1849 Wilhelm Löhe’s (1808–1872) Society of Mission in Neuendettelsau, Bavaria, was founded.
1851 Francis E. Clark, American Congregational clergyman who founded the first Young People’s Society of Christian Endeavor, was born in Aylmer, Quebec (d. 26 May 1927).
1858 Carl Ackermann, a professor at Capital University (Columbus, Ohio), was born (d. 7 June 1943).
1884 Johann Kilian, Wendish Lutheran pastor and Texas pioneer, died (b. 22 March 1811 of Wendish parents in Dahlen, Saxony).
1886 Ernest E. Ryden, hymnist, was born (d. 1 January 1981).
1920 Adolph Haentzschel (1881–1971) was installed as the first full-time Synodical Conference campus pastor.
1922 The House of Bishops of the U.S. Protestant Episcopal Church voted 36–27 to delete the word “obey” from the denomination’s official marriage service.
1955 The Denver Lutheran High School in Denver, Colorado, opened.
1976 Gerhardt W. Hyatt (1916–1985) was installed as president of Concordia College (Saint Paul, Minnesota). Hyatt retired from active duty as the U.S. Army chef of chaplains on 31 July 1975 with the rank of major general. After that he served as a staff consultant to The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod Foundation. A 1944 graduate of Concordia Seminary (Saint Louis), Hyatt received a master of arts degree from Washington University in Saint Louis in 1964.
1976 Concordia Theological Seminary held its first opening service in Fort Wayne, Indiana, after the school was moved from Springfield, Illinois, to the campus of the former Concordia Senior College in Fort Wayne.