1224 The Franciscans first arrived in England. They were called Grey Friars because of their grey habits. The Franciscan habit is brown today. The order was founded by Saint Francis of Assisi (11811226) in 1209 and was officially approved by Pope Honorius III (11481227) in 1223.

1718 Founded in 1701 by Congregationalists who feared that Harvard was straying from its Calvinist roots, the Collegiate School at New Haven, Connecticut, changed its name to Yale.

1748 Ralph Harrison, composer, was born (d. 4 November 1810, Manchester, Lancashire, England).

1777 Peter Muhlenberg (1746–1807), son of Lutheran patriarch Henry Melchior Muhlenberg (17111787), commanded a brigade at the Battle of Brandywine.

1791 James Edmeston, hymnist, surveyor and architect who wrote many children’s hymns, was born at Wapping, in London (d. 7 January 1867, Homerton, Middlesex, England).

1794 Blount College was established in Knoxville, Tennessee, by the Presbyterians. In 1806 the school became a state school, and in 1807 it was renamed East Tennessee College. Its present name is the University of Tennessee.

1808 Daniel Dole, missionary to Hawaii, was born in Bloomfield (now Skowhegan), Maine (d. 26 August 1878).

1819 Canadian hymn writer Joseph Scriven was born in Seapatrick, County Down, Ireland (d. 10 August 1886, Port Hope, Ontario, Canada).

1905 Concordia College (Portland, Oregon) opened.

1905 The Wheat Ridge (Colorado) Sanatorium was dedicated.

1937 B. H. Streeter (b. 1874), Anglican New Testament textual scholar, died.

1957 Concordia Senior College (Fort Wayne, Indiana) opened.

1965 Father Divine (b. ca. 1880), African American religious cult leader, died.

1981 Herbert H. Gross, retired professor of geography and earth science at Concordia College (River Forest, Illinois), died at Schaumburg, Illinois (b. 14 March 1905, Buckley, Illinois).

1990 Pope John Paul II (19202005) consecrated the Basilica of Our Lady of Peace in Yamoussoukro, Côte d’Ivoire, one of the largest churches in the world.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
© 2014-2024 Concordia Historical Institute • All Rights Reserved