The exhibit includes forty-one of the fifty-seven woodcuts in the Small Passion and the Life of the Virgin series, both of which were put into book form in 1511. This is only the second time that the Institute has displayed its collection of Dürer prints. It will remain on display during regular museum hours until the end of 2011. A donation of $3.00 is requested to view the exhibit.
Albrecht Dürer was born in Nuremberg, Germany, in 1471, and received his early training in that city. After opening his own shop in 1495, he quickly became a printmaker famous throughout Europe, although he also worked in other media. Much of his work depicted scenes from the Bible. Two of his most well-known works are “Praying Hands” and “Rhinoceros.”
Click here for the on-line images of these woodcuts from our previous exhibit.