CHI Awards Program
Since 1974 members of the awards committee of Concordia Historical Institute have considered recent American Lutheran historical works and authors. Awards are granted by the committee on behalf of CHI to individuals, congregations, agencies and boards in recognition of significant contributions to literature and research in the field of Lutheran archives and history in North America.
Each year CHI grants Awards of Commendation for significant contributions to North American Lutheran History. The areas considered for awards include:
- Congregation Anniversary or History
- District/Synod or Regional History
- Institutional History
- Family History, Memoir, or Biography
- Major Topical/Reference Publications
- Journal or Magazine Articles
- Historical Recreations, Displays, Performances, Oral History or Motion Pictures
- Support for Historical Preservation and Archival Work
- Youth (Anyone under 18 entered in any of the above categories.)
If you have written or know of an item that should be considered by our awards committee, please use our Awards Nomination Form (see below) and send the form and two copies of the work (if printed) to CHI. The deadline for submissions is January 31 of the calendar year for items produced or published during the previous calendar year. For example, items considered for the 2017 Awards Program are produced or published during the 2016 calendar year.
Following is a historic listing of the awards which CHI has presented. It lists the year the award was given, to whom it was presented and the title of the item which was submitted for consideration.