What Is Concordia Historical Institute?
Concordia Historical Institute is the Department of Archives and History of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. From its beginning in 1847, the Synod has provided for its archives, first entrusting the responsibility for maintaining the churchʼs records to the synodical secretary. In 1927 the Institute was incorporated by interested individuals in the church to provide for the preservation of its records. In 1959 the Synod designated the Institute as its official repository.
The Instituteʼs facilities, located on the campus of Concordia Seminary in Saint Louis, Missouri, include a reference room for patrons, a conference room, a museum exhibit area and three stack areas for storage of its collections. The stack areas are maintained at a constant temperature and humidity to preserve the resources.
The materials stored at the Institute include records of synodical officers, boards, commissions, committees and other entities, as well as personal papers of church leaders, seminary professors, pastors, teachers, laypersons and missionaries. The Instituteʼs reference library contains books, periodicals, parish histories, pamphlets, tracts and other publications relating to the history of Lutheranism in North America and its European antecedents. Museum artifacts, audiovisual resources and photographs round out the holdings. A considerable amount of resources are available on microfilm.
The Institute maintains two historic sites in Perry County, Missouri – Saxon Lutheran Memorial and Hill of Peace Lutheran Church. It publishes the Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly and assists districts and congregations of the Synod in preserving their historical records.
Historical Items of Interest
- A Brief History of Concordia Historical Institute
- An Explanation of Concordia Historical Institute’s Seal
- The Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws of Concordia Historical Institute
CHI Awards Program
Each year CHI grants Awards of Commendation for significant contributions to North American Lutheran History. To learn more about the Awards program, go to the Awards Program page.
Help us continue telling the story of our Lord’s gracious dealings with His people in the Lutheran Church. Your support of CHI through your annual membership is crucial in allowing CHI to fulfill its mission and ministry. Become a member of CHI today by going to our Membership Page.
How To Contact Us
Concordia Historical Institute
804 Seminary Place, St. Louis MO 63105-3014
- Executive Director, Rev. Dr. Daniel N. Harmelink (314) 505-7911
- Archives and Accessioning, Rev. Todd Zittlow (314) 505-7923
- Archives Assistant, Mrs. Margaret “Peg” Robson
- Library Cataloger, Mrs. Anna Horton, (314) 505-7955
- Receptionist, Donor/Membership Manager and Volunteer Coordinator, Mrs. Kristen Muehler, (314) 505-7900
- Reference Department, reference @ lutheranhistory.org, (314) 505-7935
- Museum Consultant, Mrs. Rebecca Wells
- Fax Number: (314) 505-7901
- E-Mail: chi @ lutheranhistory.org
- Website: http://concordiahistoricalinstitute.org
How to Find Us
Planning a trip to St. Louis? Visit “Explore St. Louis,” The Official Travel Portal of St. Louis, Missouri.
The Concordia Historical Institute is located at:
Concordia Historical Institute
804 Seminary Place
Clayton, MO 63105
The hotel nearest Concordia Historical Institute that might be considered for lodging for a research trip or other extended stay is:
6300 Clayton Road
Richmond Heights, MO 63117